Tuesday 22 April 2014

September 2013 - Vertiboplasty days I can walk again

My oncologist wanted me to at least start one course of Capecitabine chemo before I have my vertiboplasty. She was concerned about my liver and didn't want to wait. I was mostly bed bound for over a month.

So finally in September 2013 I had my vertiboplasty to stabilise my fractured vertebra in my spine.
I must admit I could hardly trust my new spinal doctor (not the one who diagnosed me with cancer but a new one I was referred to ) but I was proved wrong. He was lovely. He was very open about everything and I felt like I could ask him any and as many questions as I liked and he was very patient with me.
So he explained what vertiboplasty was. He told me it would be done under sedation, explained what kind of cement he will use, showed me my scans, etc
I was very happy with him. I was happy as he kept me very involved throughout my whole treatment.

On the day of my surgery on 4th september I was asked to come early to go through essential paperwork. They took me to the theatre and this is when a fear set in. I was so anxious of having someone even touch my back as at this point it was very hypersensitive. Even a lightest touch would trigger the pain. I couldn't even allow anyone to hug me at the times as even a good intentional, loving, gentle hug would cause so much sensitivity and pain around my back. I can barely even try to explain that feeling.

So they ve prepared me for the theatre and gave me intravenous sedative to make me drowsy. However, I didn't feel I was drowsy, I felt I was still pretty much alert ! My surgeon gave me local anaesthetic which made me twitch a lot with my hypersensitive back and proceeded with the cement injections. I must admit I didnt feel a thing, no pain of whatsoever and in the matter of minutes my surgery was over

This is my new scan post surgery:


Cement was in place and my vertebra looked very supported !


Apparently this cement has "anticancer" properties or should I say they think as it warms up before it sets it potentially destroys some of the cancer cells by heat.

It worked really well for me. That same day they ve asked me to walk around my hospital room straight after the surgery. I was no longer to use my back supporting brace. Initially, I felt a little anxious but i was happy I could walk again now ! My back muscles felt very weak, I still can't bend forward as much but at least it was all a bit more stable. I was told I will not be able to carry anything heavy, possibly nothing heavier than a kettle full of water but I was happy. I was happy I could walk again without a brace on my own.

Few days later I had my review consultation... everything was going well. My hypersensitivity had reduced greatly as well. However I was told that this was only temporary solution but with my sort of illness its more of the permanent solution. Ideally I would have the whole of the fractured vertebra replaced by the new one but this was the best they can do for now.
This was yet another reminder of the grim reality of my illness. I wanted to be "fixed" for good, I wanted to be normal again, go for a run, jog around the park but I knew I'd never be able to do any of those things ever again....

This cancer constantly keeps on reminding me of its presence and my limitations.
I wish I have not taken things for granted when I was healthy and did all those crazy things I wanted to do...
However, now I have this alternative reality that Im not entirely happy with but I still hope to enjoy it while I can.


Vertiboplasty links:

http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/back-surgery/vertebroplasty-procedure

You tube animated clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_Ka8uhbL_o

No comments:

Post a Comment