Monday 28 April 2014

A Little Bit of Cancer Humour in Those Dark Days ...


Even at the most horrible times in our life we do manage to find a little things that make us smile.
My friend Silvi was diagnosed with her rare blood disorder, type of a cancer. Less than 10 years ago around christmas time, she ended up in the hospital and was fighting for her life. Somehow one day while she was in the hospital she stumbled across this old book that seemed like a very interesting read. As she was reading it she had seen a chapter on dying and like many cancer patients she was curious about it. In the book it says as long as you can see the tip of your nose, you ll be ok. You ll live for at least 3 months.
Apparently, when people are dying their eyes fall deeper into their sockets and it gets trickier to see their nose or something like that. I m not sure about the whole theory behind it.
So in all my pain and suffering while I was in the hospital myself, I remember that story that Silvi told me many years ago. So I kept on checking my nose every single day to see how long I ve got left to live. I was happy to see my nose :-) every day.
So even up to todays date we still laugh and giggle via Skype and jokingly say that we can still see our nose ...

       
Once I was at the hospital waiting to have my bloods done the day before my chemo in the waiting room there was five of us including two older men in their 70s. They ve just met and there were talking about kind of cancers they had. I couldn't stop myself from over hearing their conversations as its only natural to be curious about those things I guess as all 5 of us we were going through the same.
So one gentlemen had a lung cancer. The other one asked what kind of test have they done on you so far. He said they ve done bronchoscopy (its where they insert a little camera down your airways).
The other gentlemen said thats sounds like a ancient african hunting ritual, what is it?
At the point it was not only me trying not to laugh in our bleak situation but I could see others giggling to themselves.

Its still amazing to see how talkative cancer patients can be in the waiting rooms and funny too. I guess we are all going through the same problem in a different way regardless of you age or sex. Cancer kind of brings people together at whats considered bleak and horrible situation and its lovely to see that people still find the things to giggle and smile about. Simple things in life ...



2 comments:

  1. I've just sat here and read your entire blog from start to finish! You are an utterly amazing woman and I wish you all the love and strength that you need :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Maria, thank you very much for reading my blog and your lovely and kind words.
    Thank you, I appreciate it very much
    My kindest regards to you

    ReplyDelete