Sunday 20 April 2014

August 2013 - more tests, more scans ....


So this Stage IV hit me really hard ! I would cry every now and than.
I ve got to keep on going ...



Oncology team had organised a number of tests, scans, biopsy etc etc

I had my full body CT scan which confirmed cancer in my liver, spine, lymph nodes etc
This was my CT scan report:



I had some further blood tests as well which showed my liver surprisingly was not doing too badly (not failing yet) despite of the amount of the cancer that was present in there.




Tumor markers were around 360 to start with. Normal once are up to 25.

I also had liver biopsy to check if my cancer was still the same as sometimes it can change and become for example triple negative or HER 2 +. Mine stayed the same estrog/prog positive and HER2-.  Post treatment I was asked to keep movements to the minimum for the next 24 hours due to risk of bleeding. 
My chemo was being delayed until I got the results of my biopsy.

While I was in the hospital my uncle came to visit over the weekend from Canada. It was lovely to see him but mainly I was happy he was there for my mum. He was there to try to cheer her up in those dark days.

While I was in the hospital I ve asked to see Prof E. in London. He was the only oncologist I really liked. He s got the passion for his work, he loves hearing and keeping up with new treatments and he was the only one I can fully and completely trust. As I couldn't attend this appointment myself due to risk of paralysis should the vertebra break further my good old friend Omar and his sister offered to travel from Birmingham to London and see him on my behalf. They are both in the medical field so they were the perfect people to go on my behalf. I needed Prof E's. opinion. I needed to know what he would do, what treatment he would propose. Ive known him since 2011 and respected his opinion very much so. Treatment at the is point according to him was no different so Ive stayed put for now.

My friends called, texted, emailed, facebooked me to check how I was. At first I couldn't talk to anyone but than slowly started responding to my messages. It was all a little bit overwhelming. 
I was pleasantly surprised how many people cared about me.



After spending 10 days at the hospital I was finally allowed to go home with my spinal brace:



I had to put on this brace each time before I get out of the bed to keep my spine stable. Lying in the bed was ok. 
So this brace became my little companion for the next month until they could do vertiboplasty. This is where they inject the cement in my vertebra to support it and prevent further fracture. 


This was me "police like enforcement" ! A little joke between me and my friend 




No comments:

Post a Comment