Saturday 12 April 2014

November 2011- 1st oncology meeting

I was seeing my oncologist in November 2011. I went to this appointment on my own. She explained to me that I'm to have 6 courses of FEC-T chemo and after I finish it she would refer me to discuss my radiotherapy after that. She had explained all the side effects of chemo and given me a Macmillian cancer leaflet about it.

Here is the link to the side effects of chemo I ll be having:

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/Breast/Treatingbreastcancer/Chemotherapyforbreastcancer.aspx


 So I was gonna feel bad, i ll suffer from loss of energy, I ll loose my hair but hopefully with chemo killing my healthy cells it will also kill cancer cells if any have escaped my lymph nodes !
She also suggested I had an IVF treatment (as chemo is well known to cause early menopause)and keep that door open as you never know I might want to have a kids some day. To be honest with you I just wanted to get on with the treatment and survive The last thing I was thinking about was kids even though I desperately wanted to have kids before all of this happened. I always dreamt I d have a boy and than a girl and a Freddie like dog and live in the countryside, out of the city and grow my own vegetables. I ve never lived in the village and I always wanted to do so.
So when consultant explained about my cancer and about IVF I thought I'd go for it as it seems like a very good idea.Even If I don't have kids at least that option will always be open to me.  Rufus was not with me at this appointment and it was something I needed to discuss with him as well. I guess I was always very open with him and I never had any secrets from him. We did briefly mention kids before however that was few month ago and now with this cancer  things might have changed. 

So that evening I told him what happened at my oncologist appointment. I mentioned IVF but also said I wanted to make sure I was ok before IVF. I said I wanted to go for a private consultation with another consultant and see if they are risks to it. 

Few days later I ve booked to see Professor P.E. in his private clinic. I ve done a lot of research and found him to be an excellent London based consultant. 

So I went to see him and had a long discussion with him. He asked if I had a full body scan and I said no as my consultant where i lived didn't think it was necessary and that probably we would not find anything on the scan and it would be pointless to scan me at this point. Later on I found out the hard way that maybe I should have had that scan after all !

No comments:

Post a Comment