Thursday 17 April 2014

March 2012- BRCA genes test / End of chemo


End of March marked the end of my chemo. I was way too tired from chemo to be happy or celebrate.
I thought I was approaching the end of my cancer journey even though I was booked to have 25 sessions of radiotherapy.  Radiotherapy should be an easy walk in the park compared to chemo, nurses used to say to me.
I was looking forward to starting a new life, life without cancer

I never thought my cancer would later turn into Stage IV - terminal stage !

So I ve tried to move on with my life and forget about the cancer. However it was never too far away from me. I was given a month to recuperate before I start radiotherapy.
My pre genetic testing consultation was booked for me and I had even more unexpected news.
Genetic testing raised even more issues and concerns...
If I was to be tested and positive I had various decisions to make like:


  • If I wanted to have preventative mastectomy of my other breast
  • Should I have my ovaries removed as if positive I'd be more at risk of further cancer
  • Removing ovaries will bring on early menopause and further bone problems
  • If I was to have kids would you have them tested as well
  • You d have to share this info with health insurance companies, etc etc 


After a long discussion with geneticist I decided I still needed to know. I can't be ignorant to this and any issues that prop up I guess I'd deal with them as they come

Also at this stage I was given Tamoxifen to use as a prevention

This all felt like I was entering a "new unknown" pathway. There is so much more to this cancer that I had to learn. It felt like a big, long, dark tunnel of unknown
But like they say take a one step at the time .....





No comments:

Post a Comment