Friday 18 April 2014

23. April 2013 - Reconstructive surgery


This was the day of my reconstructive surgery. My mum, the person I can always rely on moved in with me on a temporary basis to help me out with things when I come out of the surgery.
In the meantime things with Rufus settled down and after some time, he kind of managed to get into my life again but this time as a friend. I know its hard to keep up with what was happening with us !

So on a day of my surgery my mum and dad were with me. We went thru usual paper stuff, consent forms, etc etc.
My lovely plastic surgeon, a nurse and his register asked me to walk into the room for a quick consultation and to plan surgery by drawing where they re gonna make cuts, which part of the skin to take,etc. They ve locked the door so no one would walk in the room as my top part was fully exposed. My surgeon asked how I felt and I said I was very nervous. Than he mentioned that its not too late to give up if I didn't want to go thru this. I replied it is late, you ve already locked the door so I can't escape! So we all giggled a little and I ve tired to be a little bit more calm.

Following this they sent me to a photographer to do pre op photos. I had some bloods done as well. My white blood cells were slightly on the low side 5 days before surgery but have picked up a little.
ECG was done as well prior to surgery.


So I was wheeled down to the surgical theatre. I felt really nervous but a lovely anaesthesiologist was very reasurring and very chatty with me.
Surgery lasted for 7 1/2 hours. My mum was beside herself. One of the nurses reassured her and Rufus came later on to check on me as well. However I was not out of the theatre yet.

I started slowly waking up in the recovery room and all I could see was this clock on the wall, not registering what time it was and a male nurse sitting beside me reading a book.
They ve taken me back to my room. I had a private room but unfortunately the view was not the best one I ve seen ! It was overlooking a cemetery ! This is not something hospital patients are looking forward to see I guess. ...

My room with "the view": from above the certain level !






This was me post surgery, all swollen from long general anaesthetic :



Me few days later:




No comments:

Post a Comment