Thursday 8 May 2014

May 2014 - Appreciating a little things in life


I ve not seen some of my friends for 1, 5 or even 10 years. Its amazing when you do see them. Its like the time has not moved. Within a few minutes you realise you were the same two people you were before and you ve got so much to talk about and share with each other.

My friend Deesha who I ve not seen for a while got in touch with me and asked me to meet her in Oxford st for a meal and catch up. She lives in London too so its easy for both of us.
It was so lovely to see her but street was too crowded to even have a little chat. So she said lets go for a free meal. For a moment I thought who on earth would give us a free meal ?! but I followed her. We arrived at Hare Krishna centre and as soon as we got there we were given a free meal and a drink! Very nice veggy meal and freshly squeezed apple juice. I felt really guilty for not paying for my meal so we wondered around looking for something to do in return.
We went to the kitchen and a chef asked us if we wanted to help fold some samosas. We had to wear funky blue cook hats ! and wash our hands thoroughly before even approaching cooking area.
I never thought folding and filling little samosas would be so much fun. We were chatting to each other, we met both chefs who were talking to us, laughing with us, telling us their life stories....
and actually for a moment I forgot I had cancer. I had so much fun instead of thinking about this stupid illness.
At the end after badly folding 50 samosas between us we went to the restaurant part of hare krishna centre to get some water. This is where people actually pay for their food, unlike us two! The main chef came around and gave us some more lovely food from the restaurant ! I couldn't believe such a generosity and kindness of people. He came to have his meal and sat next to us. I must admit I don't know much about religion. All I seem to remember that as a teenager I once rented a book from a library and it was full of interesting colourful pictures of a boy at the field surrounded by some animals.
So chef who sat with us explained more about the traditions and religion and it was really fun to listen. He traveled around the world so it was really interesting hearing his stories.
I came back home, happy to have had a new experience in my life, met some of the loveliest people out there and truly had a great time. Thanks my good old friend Deesha :).
For ones I didn't feel like a cancer "victim" but I felt so alive and normal.

Cancer is one of those illnesses that people can't see so everyone assumes you re normal and healthy like everyone else. People without knowing my medical history always comment how well I look. However, my body is cancer ridden at least the third of it and its hard to believe that myself at the times. On so many occasions my brain, my mind would want me to do the things, long walks etc but my body simply can't but you have to keep on going ....






So I try and find the things that make me smile. This is something silly I found...hope it makes you smile too...







No comments:

Post a Comment